Sunday, June 24, 2007

Making a button - Tateru's way

How to make a button for a piece of clothing; it didn't quite work out the way I had anticipated, but was acceptable nonetheless. I want to work on this process. These instructions are for the Gimp specifically.
  • Make a new canvas, about 60x60 pixels.
  • Use the "Select elliptical regions" tool. Hold down shift as you create the shape to make a perfect circle.
  • Fill the area with the color of your button. Don't banish the selection yet.
  • Shrink the selection by 5 pixels or so.
  • Create a new layer and select it.
  • Fill this area with white.
  • Run a Gaussian blur, RLE.
  • Turn down the opacity on this layer. You have now created the flash of light on the button.
This is an example of a black button. It looks much better inworld :)



This website has information on how to create 3D web buttons; I think I'll try that next and see what I can come up with to create more convincing buttons.

No comments: